Thursday, November 16, 2006

Blog On

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” Elbert Hubbard

Writing this blog and getting involved with the whole blogging community (okay, blogosphere) has really changed my outlook on finding information. I started my first blog at Salon.com in 2003, not knowing anything about blogs. I was just thrilled that I could write in some capacity for the same publication that my favorite author Anne Lamott wrote for. I ran out of steam in about six months.

This time, I’m starting slowly, educating myself and trying to figure out how this blog will fit in with my plan to make a living on the internet. It started with a luncheon program at the Colorado Authors’ League in September. Three speakers told us about their blogs and I became intrigued by the possibilities. They told us that tens of millions of people read blogs on a regular basis. How on earth, I wondered do they find the time? Now, when I want information, I search for blogs on the topic instead (or in addition to) of googling it. It’s addictive and it takes me into that time warp I used to enter when I first started using the internet back in the early 90s. For an information junkie like me, blogs are simply irresistible. More personal and raw than slick marketing-department produced web sites, one of their best features are the links to other blogs, an option I hope to start using here soon. Yesterday, for example, I found a blog written by Roger von Oech, the Whack on the Side of the Head guy. He had a link to The Creative Generalist, who linked me to some other sites, and on and on until I had to force myself to get back to work.

Note: The Mayan Ruins at Chichen Itza were chosen as the sixth new wonder of the world.

Note: Emmitt Smith and Cheryl Burke won the Dancing With the Stars championship last night—Hurray!! They were my pick all along. Emmitt Smith has more natural charm than ten Mario Lopezes (no slouch in the charm department). Cheryl Burke also came across as a much nicer person than Mario’s partner. Now I have to wait until January for the new American Idol to start. Sigh. At least I have Thanksgiving and Christmas to keep me busy until then. :)

©2006 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: