Monday, January 01, 2007

A New Year, A New Direction

“Learning a little every day soon puts you far behind whoever’s learning a lot every day.” Ashleigh Brilliant

Acute observer that you are, you probably noticed that I changed the title of my blog from The Art of Self-Employment to The Constant Learner. After much gnashing of teeth and mental anguish, I decided that this name better represents me and what I want to write about.

Even in the first 40-odd postings, I had a hard time sticking with the topic of self-employment. That’s because I am what Barbara Sher calls a scanner—a person who has too many interests to focus on just one thing. Sher’s book, Refuse to Choose and Margaret Lobenstine’s The Renaissance Soul caused me to reconsider and ultimately abandon my quest to find my One True Mission in Life. Instead I embrace the idea that my mission is to learn about a wide variety of topics. The fact that I had six majors* in college before I finally earned my bachelors degree should have been a clue.

So the truth is that I get bored easily and, as passionate as I am about self-employment, that isn’t the only thing I want to write about. Other areas include:

  • Writing
  • Presentations
  • Creativity
  • Critical Thinking
  • Teaching adults
  • Adult College Students
  • Non-retirement
  • Reading
  • Decorating
  • Bookbinding
  • Spirituality
  • Walking
  • Weightlifting

to name a few.

I believe that we were all born to learn. Learning is what brings me joy. My favorite activities all have a learning component to them, so in this blog I will suggest many resources for learning because being a resource person is what I do best. But I believe that the whole world is a learning resource and I’m giving myself permission to explore whatever topics strike my fancy and I invite you along for the ride.

Enjoy!

*art, philosophy, sign language, psychology, anthropology and sociology

©2006 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: