Friday, March 02, 2007

I, Creator

"Creating the work that nourishes your life is one of the most rewarding paths to self-expression and joy." Salli Rasberry and Padi Selwyn, Living Your Life Out Loud

I’ve been rediscovering my need to be creative this week. Last Sunday, I went to a workshop at the downtown library to learn how to make an 8-page travel journal/collage out of one large sheet of paper. The instructor was Gail Lindley, owner of The Denver Bookbinding Company, somebody who knows everything there is to know about bookbinding because she has been in the business all her life. Her grandparents started the company.

I got interested in making handbound books a few years ago when I interviewed Gail for my column in the North Denver News. Since then, I have attended several classes on different kinds of handbound journals and have a stack of close to ten books on the subject on my dining room table as I write. When I got a Barnes and Noble gift card for my birthday, I spent it on handbound leather journals that I want to copy.

In one of the library books, I found a project for a little 3-D picture and I made a similar one using a picture of my dad in his army air corps uniform in 1942, his dad about 12 years later and a 1921 Model T, just like one my grandfather owned. It was fun to make and everybody admired my handiwork, which is also fun. I’ve also decided to make personal handmade birthday cards instead of sending mass-produced ones from the card shop.

I find that these creative outlets relax me and give me a feeling of accomplishment like almost nothing else I do. They also make me want to use more of my creative juices on my day-to-day work, which can only be a good thing.

My pastor once explained to me that the concept that we are made in God’s image doesn’t mean we look like God, but that we are born creators. I believe that. I know that the more creativity I can put into my everyday life, the happier I am.

©2007 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: