Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Something Happened

"For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." Douglas Adams

Sometimes being self-employed feels like nothing continues to happen no matter what you do. You have to keep marketing and developing products and expecting to happen and, suddenly, something does.

So far this week has been like that for me. After a long dry spell when I sent out proposals, went on interviews and submitted writing samples, I’m beginning to get some results. Monday, I got a new teaching assignment, and yesterday the training company that I work with called with an opportunity to teach a workshop at a conference. I can hardly wait to see what happens today.

I breathed a sigh of relief, but I know that I can’t let my guard down. I need to continue putting myself out there. I have plans for a monthly newsletter/press release to help establish myself with the media as an expert in creativity. Since I can’t find a graduate certificate program in creativity here in Colorado, I plan to develop my own. And I’m thinking about joining the Professional Speakers’ Association.

As best-selling author and career counselor Barbara Sher said, “Perhaps the best reason to plan is that following a plan gets you out into the world. If you go to the library and look up articles, call people, join organizations, go to appointments, something can happen to you.” On the other hand, beloved western author Larry McMurtry pointed out, “If you wait, all that happens is that you get older.”

© Copyright 2007 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: