Thursday, June 07, 2007

To Sir With Love

Sir Paul McCartney’s new album, Memory Almost Full, came out this week and he’s all over the telly promoting it. I admit I was not pleased to hear that Starbucks sponsored it, feeling as I do that the ubiquitous Seattle coffee franchise is the personification of evil on earth. Still, it’s Paul McCartney, a man I’ve been in love with since I was 16 and who can simply do no wrong in my eyes.

When he married Heather Mills, I was dismayed that he chose a woman younger than at least one of his daughters, but encouraged that she was not a bimbo. Her charm and spirit of adventure won me over during her tenure on Dancing With the Stars. Of course, by then, their marriage was through, and I saw another chance for me to hook up with my idol.

I offer my students a guaranteed A if they can put me in touch with Sir Paul. After all, with only six degrees of separation, I’m bound to encounter someone who knows him, right? When I was sixteen, he was too old for me. Now, it seems, I’m too old for him. Life’s just not fair.

You can listen to excerpts from the new, critically acclaimed album here.

To celebrate the 40th anniversary this year of the Beatles’ most famous album, Sgt. Pepper, I put the album cover image on my monitor.

© Copyright 2007 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: