Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Boob Tube

“Everyone has a purpose in life. Perhaps yours is watching television.”
David Letterman

I watch too much TV, so much that I would be embarrassed to tell you how much. Let’s just say I’m above average, okay? Whenever I hear myself say, “I don’t have time,” I hear another nagging little voice tell me that I would have time, if only I didn’t watch so much TV.

Here are my current must see shows:

The Young and the Restless CBS

Monk USA

The Closer TNT

So You Think You Can Dance Fox

Flip That House TLC

Sell This House A&E

House Hunters HGTV

The Daily Show Comedy Central

I’ve also been getting into The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch on CNBC.

An article in Psychology Today reports that watching Comedy Central may boost creativity. “Studies show that people are better at solving exercises designed to measure creative thinking immediately after exposure to comedy.” Laughing makes us “more alert, active, interested and excited.”

On the other hand, the same article suggests that we limit TV watching because “when you watch television, your brain goes into neutral.” Okay, sometimes I want my brain to go into neutral, but probably not for as many hours as I watch TV. I really don’t think that watching television is my purpose in life.

© Copyright 2007 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: