Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Subjects I Wish I’d Taken in College

I’ve told the story before about how I found my best friend, Chris, from high school after 36 years. Since we’ve been back in touch, we are frequently amazed at how much we still have in common. We are both readers, writers, and teachers. We both like cats.

When she and her husband, Peter, were in town this fall, she asked me an intriguing question. Was there anything I wished I’d studied in college instead of what I had? “Not instead of,” I replied, “but in addition to. I want to learn everything.” She grinned and looked meaningfully at Peter, as if to say, “See? That’s why we’re friends.”

Here’s a partial list of subjects I wish I’d taken in college:

§ Economics

§ Calculus

§ Physics

§ Marketing

§ Public Speaking

§ Graphic Design

§ Geography

§ Comparative Religion

Of course, the question seems to assume that it is all over, that we will just have to finish our lives without knowing much about these topics. Not true. I may still go back to school and take that economics course, or I may get some books and study it on my own. It’s never too late for learning.

# # #

No comments: