Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank

This is everyone’s favorite holiday because it isn’t commercialized. We don’t have to send cards, buy presents, send flowers or hang harvest-colored lights. My cynical side thinks this is probably because Thanksgiving comes so close to Christmas and we just don’t have TIME to do all that before we have to do it all next month.

I’ll be celebrating with my dad and stepmother, a simple, quiet meal. I am especially thankful that we don’t have to watch any football on TV, even though the Broncos are playing. One of my personal Thanksgiving traditions is to read Truman Capote’s

nostalgic and funny story, “A Thanksgiving Visitor.” Tonight, I’ll watch Ugly Betty, my favorite new TV show.

Meanwhile, my contributions for dinner are the turkey, gravy, pumpkin pie and my famous Cranberry Salad (recipe below). In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I got the recipe from Rose Hahn over 30 years ago.

Cranberry Salad

Chop 1 bag (12 oz) of fresh cranberries and ¾ cup of walnuts. Mix with ¾ cup of sugar, cover and let stand overnight. Add 2 cups miniature marshmallows and one package prepared Dream Whip. Yummy.

©2006 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: