Monday, November 20, 2006

Telling Stories

“Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.” Max Ehrman, Desiderata

I’ve been reading A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink about the increased need for right brain functions in our left brain world. My friend Maureen, the marrying woman, recommended it to me. She was reading it as an assignment before she attends a Making it Better Seminar in Las Vegas put on by our mutual friend, Barbara Winter.

This is one of those books that has great ideas and things for me to look up on every page. Pink lists six right brain aptitudes we need to develop, not to replace our left brain skills, but to complement them. I’m reading right now about the need for stories to connect with others. That’s probably one of the reasons blogs are so popular—because readers get to know the authors and their companies on a more personal basis.

An example: I’m more likely to buy Newman’s Own products after reading Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good, the book that tells the story of how the business started and grew.

We remember stories better than facts and we connect with others through our stories. Think about that when you are planning your marketing materials. How can you incorporate a personal story?

This is a good incentive to me to continue my exploration of writing short stories, which my writers’ group forced me into.

©2006 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: