Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Winter Surprise

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

I like that quotation because I’m a big fan of curiosity. It’s one of the characteristics of creative people, and Dr. Richard M. Restak calls it “the mental trait most linked with superior brain functioning over the life span.”

Each day brings new things to wonder about. On my walk yesterday morning, I rounded the corner by Our Lady of Guadalupe Church to find the streets barricaded and a festival in full swing. Mexican dancers filled the street, music blasted from loud speakers and food booths prepared for lunch. At 10 a.m. on a Tuesday morning. I don’t know what the occasion was, but don’t these things usually happen on the weekend? And, think about it: December is not a great time to hold an outdoor festival in Denver.

I enjoyed the dancers and their brightly colored costumes and walked on. I was on a tight schedule and had places to go, people to see and things to do. Eventually I will learn what the celebration was all about, but meanwhile, I will just appreciate the fact that it appeared on a day when I needed a little boost.

Now, I’m wondering what astonishing things will happen today. To quote Roseanne Rosannadanna, “It’s always something.”

©2006 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: