Thursday, November 30, 2006

Shopping Habits

“The universe has its own set of rules and its own sense of timing.” Richard Carlson, Don’t Worry, Make Money

Yesterday, I participated in a market research focus group. I spent two hours talking about grocery stores with five other women and the research leader. They handed each of us $100 as we left.

They only call me to do this about once a year, so it can’t really be considered a profit center, but it’s a nice piece of change, especially this time of year. It’s also fun, and I learned something from the other participants about a new grocery store that is being built in my neighborhood. It may turn out to be my regular store. After hearing what these women had to say about their own grocery shopping habits, I may also stop running around to different stores to follow the sales. One woman said she goes to only one store and figures it all evens out in the end. She might spend a little less there on some items and a little more on others, but she saves the gas and time that I spend going from place to place. That made a lot of sense to me.

If you’d like to participate in a focus group, look up market research companies in your local yellow pages. They are always looking for new people.

©2006 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: