Wednesday, January 17, 2007


Organization Woman

"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."

Immanuel Kant

I switched to a computer calendar several years ago and it works great. The recurring appointment feature makes it very easy to schedule my classes and other regular activities, and the reminder feature comes in very handy. I don’t have to carry a big clunky paper calendar around with me, which lightens my purse or briefcase considerably.

For my contacts, though, I still use a good old-fashioned Rolodex. It is much faster to access a phone number or address on my (real) desktop than having to click through several options to reach them on my computer. I have a special little hole punch that lets me fit business cards into the rolodex and I also use it to record my usernames and passwords for various websites.

Periodically, I go through it and remove out-of-date or no longer needed cards. January is National Organization Month, so it may be time to do that again. It’s also time to buy a new package of blank cards for all the new contacts I will make this year.

In the spirit of getting organized, I am also cleaning out closets and getting rid of unused Christmas ornaments, old clothes and linens. The hardest thing for me to part with is books, although I have made great progress in using the library instead of buying every book I want to read. It’s been so long since I bought a book of fiction that my Amazon account no longer recommends them to me.

People tell me that being organized brings greater freedom, so I’m giving it a try. Wish me luck.

©2007 Dixie Darr. All rights reserved

No comments: